Monday, January 5, 2009

6 days of not running and counting

After my mediocre attempt at running consistently while in NOLA for vacation, the sickness came swiftly and furiously. After five days of being bedridden, I am now just waiting for the lingering cough and phlegm to slightly subside, the tiredness in my bones to recede, and my energy level to rise a little before I lace my shoes up again.

Yesterday, my Grendel, after being sedentary like his sick owner for too long, convinced me to walk him around the block for some fresh air, I reluctantly complied. I leashed him up, and we were off. The beginning of the walk was enjoyable; my legs seemed to respond well to the movement, but my respiratory and energy level did not respond similarly. After about 1/2 mile, I was looking for a place to sit down and rest, and my cough had started again. I think I started frowning. And, my mind started racing. How is this going to affect the marathon in 8 weeks? Will I be able to make a come back?

But, alas, I have concluded that the sickness is what it is, and I will have to pick myself back up and try hiking this weekend to remind my body about mountains and movement and how much I enjoy being out there. The running may not start for a little while...

No comments: