Monday, September 21, 2009

Rain, Rain go away

Usually, I enjoy the rain; it provides a cool relief to the Southeast's smothering heat. Yesterday, was no exception, but excess is not always welcome.

Yesterday, we battled our way up through the respective counties until we reached Clayton, GA. There, we went to the Black Rock State Park to do a good (some good climbing) around 8 mile trail (we added some distance for the nice lookout - minus the chicken plant view). It has some good climbing in several places without the pain or the distance of the Coosa. Enjoyable! But, the rain; the rain. It rained the whole time; no break. Fortunately, we had forest canopy cover & limited exposure, so it was tolerable, but the trails had become small creeks. Our feet were wet; the gore tex could not provide a barrier to the wetness. We were loud sloshing slow runners (many slippery roots & rocks).

But, overall it was enjoyable. We were out there for about 2 hrs (grendel needs water Breaks) and the waterfalls & rivers were rushing. Really spectacular & a rare view in these times of drought.

But, I think I am ready for a little blue sky even if for 5 minutes.

2 comments:

David Ray said...

I've enjoyed that trail several times. Even the chicken houses.

But not in the rain. :)

Sara said...

haha!! Thanks & PS - I doubt you are too slow for me. don't let my stats fool you - that was last season. This planning the wedding has really made me out of shape..