Friday, June 19, 2009

More pavement

This past week, I have been adjusting to a new running schedule. We have moved south Highway 365, and I have added additional miles on pavement and have decreased the miles on the trails. It was inevitable to move: fiance needed year without commute; and isolation in a town with few people and fewer people who run.

Before moving, I enjoyed endless afternoons deep in the Chattahooche national forest with my dog, Grendel. He would run ahead (or behind at the end); I would rely on his senses to detect unwanted guests early, so, as a result, I spaced out with the chirping of the birds and the sound of the leaves rustling until his bark would wake me from my stupor. Now, I attach a leash and hold him close as we sprint (he pulls) on the sidewalk, and we become overheated easily as we pound each step without much shade.

No comments: