Saturday, April 4, 2009

A GA 5K win - BUT

In preparing for the relay I am embarking on with other fellow runners in Gainesville, GA, I have started my weekly 5Ks. This weekend "race" was in Athens, and I was victorious notwithstanding immeasurable pain and a failure to meet my goal time of: 19 minutes (my body had another story for me)

The race started off quickly with a 5:45 first mile; I continued at this pace until 1.5 miles. Then, the pain started. It was not a slow undulation, which peaked and had me bent over. It was deeper and arrived more quickly. A bystander would have noticed that all of a sudden my stride strangely changed from a smooth turnover to being humbled to a two step to try and keep up my fast pace - of course to no avail. Notwithstanding the pain, the slowing of the pace, I still won the race for women (albeit at a time of which I am not too proud).

Another downside, I was supposed to run my favorite trail in NGA with some friends, and I will have to abstain. The trail is very difficult, long and the climbing is arduous - my perfect mix for an ideal running day in the woods. This is my biggest regret -

Lesson learned: schedule races the day after my trail running adventures.

No comments: