Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Holiday effect - Hal Higdon would not be pleased

To all who have committed the sin of gluttony over thanksgiving, I have to say - you are in good company.

This thanksgiving was especially gluttonous for me - food and drink. After a stressful, stressful week with high productivity, I was relieved to have several days off to run (of course) and rest. However, although I succeeded at my rest goal, my running suffered. On Thursday, I was going to run, but since I don't cook, I snuck away to change into running clothes, but somehow, I ended up taking a 1.5 hr glorious nap, which included a session of drooling on the pillow. Later that evening, I drank too much wine and beer (which again is not a usual activity for me) and ate too much turkey. Although this combination should have created a sense of stupor and a great recipe for sleep, the two did not combine well, and I did not sleep until my alarm went off at 3:45am to attend Black Friday with my younger sister. (As some of you may remember from my previous posts - I am not a morning person) SO, this change in schedule, and fact that I did not sleep at all the night before, I ruined my chance at running on Friday. (oh and I had to entertain the future in-laws). Then, on Saturday, I was supposed to meet the fellow GTC members for the Paris Mtn run, but I was thwarted by my own choice to forget to set an alarm (probably a conscious decision), and I did not awake in time.

Needless to say this 3 day break was not good for the running schedule; Hal Higdon would NOT be pleased.

I recovered enough on Sunday to somehow squeeze 8 miles in but my stomach has never felt so nauseated and my legs have not ever felt so heavy.

I am glad to be back in the routine, and I now have a reason to avoid being too gluttonous during the rest of the holiday season.

No comments: