Thursday, July 9, 2009

Weekend of glory - hurrah 4th and my questionable sanity

Lately, there has been a new style of running on the weekend. Now, my rest day has become Saturday, and my day of miles has become Sunday (with (hopefully) a long run during the week in addition). These Sunday runs are cherished, and are comprised of: me, my dog, and a forest somewhere in the southeast with dramatic vistas.

This weekend was no exception. 4th of July! To celebrate, the fiance and I packed our car, loaded Grendel, and headed to North Carolina. I took advantage of the cool weather and lovely balds all above 5000 feet. Friday, Saturday and Sunday were some of the best days of running I have had in a while.

Sanity questioned at the house: When questioned about the amount of time I had been running up and down each surrounding peak, I found myself blaming the altitude for this apparent lack of judgment (as surmised by the non-runners)- how do you explain to someone that running several 6000 foot peaks is enjoyable?

Sanity questioned on the trail: We also faced answering the hikers' on the AT questions. Fortunately, I had my favorite human trail partner with me, and as we gabbed about our lives, we were able to (sometimes) avoid the strange looks from hikers and dodge questions about our sanity.

Ode to those who are cursed to love running up the sides of mountains!

No comments: